Tuesday 14 October 2014

Thomas Heatherwick



Thomas Heatherwick

Thomas is an English Designer. He is well known for his work in architecture and sculpture, which is what stood out to me from his work. I liked the style of the pieces he creates and to the scale in which he does so. One of my favourite pieces is the Angel’s wings sculpture. Although the detail is quite limited and the colours are shades of grey I think this is what makes it appealing and also what makes it stand out. The triangle shapes that are on the sculpture, although simple, I think make the sculpture much more effective and eye catching. What appeals to me about his work is that it is in no way ordinary. A bridge he created in London for pedestrians, he made so that it rolled into a ball to let ships through.



Another piece of work by Thomas Heatherwick which I found interesting was the Sheung Wan Hotel in Hong Kong. I loved the square detailing on the side of the hotel, almost making the hotel look like it has been made from paper, this was the effect it gave me. I also like how simple the shapes are but when layered up together they make a very detailed piece of work. Also a thing that stands out and makes the piece eye catching is the depth of the squares, some stand out and others appear to be quite deep into the side of the building.


The Olympic cauldron, also designed by Heatherwick, stands out as one of the iconic parts of the Olympic ceremony. Using hundreds of small torches that then all move to form a larger torch I think was quite symbolic, like all the countries coming together. I liked the simple style of his piece, just hundreds of the same style torch together to make a dome shape. I also liked the design of the piece overall and the shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment