Tuesday 21 October 2014

Lucy Orta

Lucy Orta is an English contemporary artist living and working between both London and Paris. Her pieces very often have meaning to them, as well as being strikingly unusual and bold.
Her more sculptural work looks at the boundaries between the body and architecture and explores the common social factors between them, like communication and identity.


Social Fabric.
I like this piece as it shows people all linked together and 'social' as the title suggests. I also like how she has incorporated lettering into her piece using the word 'link' on the actual links that have been made. I also think it is quite symbolic that she has used only black and white in the making of this piece and not gone for brighter and bold colours throughout as I think this was the piece has a stronger meaning.


This piece entitled 'Refuge Wear' represents the issues of mobility and survival. I think it looks a little like something you may design for the arctic or something similar, maybe this is the impression of survival? 

This piece suggests the blend of position and need people wear on their sleeves. 
I like the style of the piece, as with many of Lucy's pieces they have meaning beyond just the visual element of the piece and this appeals to me.

These bolder pieces stood out to me as they are extremely eye catching pieces. I liked the bold contrasting colours and the design and shapes used in each of the pieces, all of which makes these pieces successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment